In case you want to change the appearance of your kitchen or improve its functionality, a properly planned kitchen remodeling will help you achieve your objectives. One of the areas you will need to focus on is the countertops. With the huge range of options available, you may find it difficult choosing the right countertop for you. Here are the most popular types of countertops explained.
If you are looking for an affordable alternative to granite, you may want to go for quartz. Quartz countertops, crafted from one of the most durable and abundant minerals on earth, are available in a myriad of different colors and patterns. These counters are manufactured using a mix of quartz and polyester resins, resulting in a solid slab that holds up well to kitchen wear and tear.
- Does not demand much regarding maintenance
- Surface is resistant to scratches, heat, impact, and stains
- Many color and pattern options
- Cheaper than granite
- You will require an expert to repair the edges and corners when they chip
- Product can still be pricey
Although this natural material is a bit expensive, it will help you add style to your kitchen. Granite remains the most popular choice among most homeowners thanks to its natural elegance, durability, and timeless beauty. This stone comes in a variety of shades and styles to suit any kitchen.
- The countertop is resistant to heat, scratches, and cuts
- Brings a high-end look to your kitchen
- The natural material makes for a strong and durable working surface
- The surface is porous, making sealing important during installation
- A poorly sealed granite countertop can harbor harmful bacteria
The heat-resistant nature and ability to absorb stains make soapstone a popular countertop material. This darkness of the soapstone material especially pops when paired with white shaker cabinets for a fresh farmhouse feel. Many people choose to leave their soapstone unoiled, which results in a lighter grey hue. Adding mineral oil transforms the surface into a beautiful black sheen. Before running out and buying soapstone, however, you should ensure that the type of soapstone you choose will meet your needs.
- Soapstone can resist heat excellently
- In case the surface develops scratches, the process of repairing them is quite simple
- Its non-porous nature makes it resistant to bacteria and stains
- Soapstone is known to cut and scratch easily
- Tough stains on the surface will not wash away easily
This is not only a trendy choice but also one of the most affordable options among popular countertop types. Its resemblance to natural stone also works to make it a popular product.
- Its affordability makes it a good option for homeowners working with a limited budget
- An easy to install countertop material
- Can resist stains and withstand high temperatures
- Laminate provides numerous options regarding color and patterns
- Cutting on the surface without using a cutting board will cause permanent damage to your countertop.
- Due to its low cost, it will not increase the resale value of your home
If you are looking to remodel your kitchen into a stylish, modern and industrial-looking space, you should consider installing this metal surface. Here are some of the advantages you can expect from stainless steel countertops.
- Easy to clean countertop material
- Stainless steel countertops will neither rust nor burn
- They can be custom-made to fit your needs and taste preference
- Makes for noisy counters
- Wear and tear will cause scratches on the surface
- If handled carelessly, the countertops will dent
There are much more countertop options from which you can choose. When looking for the best countertops for your kitchen, you should not only go for quality but also consider your needs.